An operating system is a program that acts as an interface between a user and the hardware and controls all other components of the computer system. The operating systm is just like our secretary. As the boss gives orders to his secretary and the secretary does all the work for his boss.
An operating systm is an important component of a computer system that controls all other components of the computer system.
The major components of a computer system are:- (operating system)
- The Hardware
- The operating systm
- The Application program routines ( compiler, linkers, database, management system, utility program)
- The Humanware(User)
- There are various types of Operating $ystems:-
- Single-user operating systm
- Multi-user operating $ystem
- Batch processing operating systm
- Multi-processing operating systm etc.
- As the name suggests, single-user operating systms support single users whereas multi-user operating systms support the multi user at the same time.